It starts with a musical idea. Sometimes a tune pops into my head. Sometimes I accidentally play something interesting on the guitar. Or I get an idea for a lyric and try to figure out some melody to fit it.
Ok I just wrote a song. Now to record it.
I'm on my own here.
I have lots of musician friends. But they either live too far away. Or they are busy playing in the same dives I played in 20 years ago, for the same money that was offered then.
And my schedule is pretty full anyway, between work, and my Matrix like life in cyber space.
So I record all the parts of my song myself at home.
It would be easier if I was a great instrumentalist. But I only play well enough to get the job done at a passable rough demo quality.
And that requires multiple takes from me to sound like I can play with stunning mediocrity.
On top of that I use the finest recording equipment and programs that one can get... for free online.
Well now, that sounds like a hit. Add some vocals. Done. No? Oh yeah I forgot. No one really wants to just listen to a song anymore, they want to watch something while it plays.
Time to make the video. I don't want to make the video. I'm tired. I put a lot of time and effort into what was done already.
But i guess I have to do something if there is any chance of anyone checking out my song. (And that's really why I bother after all)
Ok there are a few ways to go here.
1. I can collect various pictures( hopefully public domain or some little unknown internet poster, so I won't be sued for using it later.) that fit the lyrics and try to sync them with the music. Maybe super impose the lyrics on top for those who can't understand my mumbling. Time consuming but done a lot and apparently acceptable.
2. I can steal someones video of a generic scene (waves, clouds, trees, etc.) and slap my song on there and hope no one hits me with copyrite violation. (A favorite of mine by the way)
3. Just use a still picture and let the music play. (Too lazy even for me.)
4. Use a screen capture program to get the effect when the song plays on the computers media player. (Works great if the listener/viewer is stoned. "Wow man look at the patterns")
5. Record a video of me singing it. (This stopped being a good marketing tool for me decades ago. I need to exercise a lot and get in shape. Scotch tape my eyelids up. (Who can afford a face lift). Maybe get a toupee or new hat. Put on some nice clothes...etc.)
I hate having to make the video.
I guess I'll probably go with number two.
It might also be a good idea to watch the video all the way through before I use it.
Last time I didn't and I ended up having Joe Biden singing my song.